Family/Midscale Restaurants - US - November 2011
Family restaurants are typically identified as breakfast destinations. Therefore, it’s no surprise that Mintel’s exclusive consumer research identifies breakfast as the market’s sweet spot in terms of usage (55%), compared to 40% for lunch and 43% for dinner.
Succeeding at the breakfast daypart isn’t enough to sustain sales when the morning meal remains the least likely occasion for restaurant dining, especially under a stuttering economy. To counteract tepid consumer spending and increased competition from other foodservice operators, family midscale restaurants have resorted to deep discounting to attract diners—a response that may be a misstep, as traffic growth has not been able to offset lower check averages.
In this report, Mintel delves deeper into this hypothesis with analysis of sales trends, leading family restaurant brands, marketing strategies, menu innovation and pricing trends. These topics are supported by proprietary research featuring consumer attitudes and behaviors toward the market, including:
- Usage of family midscale restaurants by daypart and frequency
- Discovery of widely used family restaurant chains and usage by daypart
- Dollars spent on most recent visit to a family restaurant, as well as changes in spending patterns
- Factors that influence family restaurant-goers’ decisions on where to dine, and how consumers rate restaurant performance on these attributes
- Perceptions of value, health and service at family restaurants
- Honed analysis of the attitudes and behaviors of family restaurants’ most frequent user groups
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.