Fashion Online - UK - April 2010
- The slowdown in online fashion sales is forecast to make itself felt in 2010, as growth slows to 8%, taking the market to £4.27 billion. This is the slowest rate of increase since Mintel started monitoring the online fashion market.
- The online fashion market has been driven above all by the rise in internet penetration, but in the past year, this has begun to stall at around 71% of adults. At the same time, the proportion of those actually shopping online has also seen its increase come close to a halt at just over 70%. Economic factors are also not in the market’s favour.
- Men are not being drawn into buying online in the same way as women. Only one in five male internet users have bought from a fashion website against one in three women. This is particularly true of men aged under 25, with only 14% buying clothing online.
- But there are some major positives. Significant improvement is going on in terms of service proposition, with more retailers introducing free and next-day deliveries as well as time slots. Improved photography, easier navigation and more advice and trend information are making shopping online more interesting, informative and fun.
- There is a very positive reception for online fashion retailing. More than half (14m adults) think online shopping is easy and convenient and 11m say it has cut down the time they spend in stores. Eight million shop online to avoid the crowds in shops.
- However, lack of trust is still a big problem. Some 12m prefer to see and feel an item of clothing before they buy it and 10m only buy from a small number of websites they trust. There is a huge disappointment factor, with almost 10m having bought an item of clothing that has not met expectations. This is higher among women, who are most likely to find that differences in sizing between brands mean they don’t know if clothes will fit.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.