Fast Fashion - China - June 2016
“After years of rapid growth, the fast fashion market is slowing down. Meanwhile, shoppers are demanding better quality products and customer service. They are also demanding more individual styles to suit diversifying tastes. Competition is intensifying, but online retail is providing new ways to reach more consumers in regions that store chains have yet to reach. There is also an opportunity to develop sub-brands in response to growing consumer diversity of tastes, along with more customisable clothing and accessories so consumers can create a more individual style. Yet, there is also the challenge that fast fashion brands will need to become more responsive to consumers’ needs, and to engage with them more successfully, both in-store and online, to raise customer loyalty.”
– Matthew Crabbe, Director of Research, Asia-Pacific
This report discusses the following key topics:
- Young and Funky versus Conservatives
- Embracing online
This Report covers how the fast fashion retail market has grown rapidly, and is seeing increasing competition drive greater innovation to capture customer interest.
It investigates how consumers are becoming more demanding of product and service quality, as well as more individualistic in their tastes, and how retailers are responding to this shift in innovative new ways.
It also looks at how important integration of online and offline channels has become in gaining consumer interest, offering value for money and improving customer experience.
The Report also looks at different consumer groups, and how they buy different products and seek out different styles of clothes to make their own look.
The Report also looks at what key factors motivate shoppers when they are looking for products, and what the key criteria are for their choice of fast fashion brand. Finally, the Report looks at consumer attitudes towards fast fashion, how they feel they are served well, and where retailers need to work harder to gain their loyalty.
For the purposes of this Report, Mintel has used the following definitions:
- Fast fashion is a term used within the fashion retailing industry to define a specific group of fashion retailers that produce designs that reach stores quickly from initial seasonal catwalk shows so as to keep up with current fashion trends. This retail model emphasises optimising the supply chain so that new designs are manufactured and distributed quickly and inexpensively to provide a broad consumer base with new designs at affordable prices.
- Retailers in this market typically sell through own-brand stores (including large flagship stores), in-store concessions in department stores and online, both through own-brand online stores and leading online shopping portals, such as Tmall, jd.com and Vipshop.
- This kind of retail model is exemplified in China by brands such as Uniqlo, H&M, Zara, Metersbonwe, Mango, C&A, Abercrombie & Fitch and The Gap.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.