Fish and Shellfish - US - July 2015
“Although fish and shellfish consumption per capita lags far behind meat and poultry (see Market Drivers), brands may be able to leverage consumers’ expanding palates by targeting fish eaters with campaigns that encourage them to try different species that offer unique or exotic flavors, as nearly six in 10 buyers say they eat fish for the taste. These types of buyers may be interested in unique or exotic species that provide a new twist on fish/shellfish flavor. If they opt for one of these species rather than selecting a meat or poultry item, their fish/shellfish purchase frequency may increase.”
– Amy Kraushaar, US Category Manager, Food and Drink and Foodservice
This report answers the following questions:
- How can fish/shellfish brands compete with meat/poultry brands?
- Can farm-raised fish increase their appeal?
- What do Millennials want from fish and shellfish brands?
The following food segments are included in this report:
- fresh, uncooked fish and shellfish, such as salmon steaks and live lobster
- refrigerated or chilled shellfish, such as lobster and crabmeat
- frozen, uncooked fish and shellfish, such as frozen unprocessed shrimp and cod fillets
- frozen prepared seafood, such as fish sticks and heat-and-eat fish fillets
- shelf-stable fish and shellfish, such as tuna, crab, and sardines.
Also included in the scope of this report are all types of seafood, such as octopi and squid, which are not fish or shellfish, but are included in the broader seafood category.
Excluded from this report are frozen/refrigerated or shelf-stable prepared meals with fish and seafood. Also excluded are restaurant or foodservice sales.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.