Food and Drink Packaging Trends - UK - January 2011
Estimated to reach £5.6 billion in 2010, the food and drink packaging market has experienced a 3.2% decline between 2005 and 2010. Manufacturers, brands and retailers are increasingly using packaging that can be easily recycled or is recyclable, in order to reduce the amount of waste sent to landfill and meet their self-imposed targets of reducing packaging by 30% by 2015.
- Usability is key to the food and drink packaging industry, with easy to open and resealable packaging rated the top attributes by consumers looking for less complication and the ability to preserve food for longer.
- Innovation which focuses on recyclability and minimal packaging should be aimed at consumers aged 55+ and ABs, who are most likely to make lifestyle changes in order to benefit the environment.
- The growth of the 55+ demographic bodes well for packaging that has clear labelling and is easy to open, which are also important attributes for this group.
- One way in which brands and retailers can drive confidence in reducing packaging, increasing recycling and cutting down on food waste is by educating consumers. Over one third of consumers find recycling different food and drink packaging confusing, and two fifths would like to know more about how to reduce their food waste.
- Those aged 18-24 like to try new formats such as drink pouches and over half (52%) of this age group are willing to switch products because of eye catching packaging.
- Throughout the recession, food and drink manufacturers have sought to develop brand and line extensions through alternative varieties and/or by introducing different pack sizes into the range. The introduction of smaller and one-serve formats will help to cater for the future rise in one-person households.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.