Food Provenance - UK - April 2010
This report reveals that while no single food issue chimes with the whole of Britain, animal welfare has become the most widely shared concern. British and local origin of food rank close behind, broadly on a par with purity of food, but well ahead of considerations like organic and carbon footprint.
- Detailed provenance information could help brands compete even in the price-led environment, by attracting the eight million people willing to pay more for such details.
- Brands targeting men stand to benefit from British provenance, as 4.5 million men say they would pay a small premium for British food.
- Securing mainstream supply can give local food products access to a pool of 14 million people nationally, who buy local food when possible, but are not willing to seek it out. As with many other food issues from fair trade to animal welfare, consumers are in favour of doing the “right” thing, as long as someone else does the work to make it happen.
- Spelling out how a product contributes to the local economy can help brands win over the 16 m adults who buy British to support local businesses.
- While 14m people see food origin labelling as sometimes misleading, just six million look for the Red Tractor label, which guarantees British origin and high production standards. The Red Tractor could attract a sizeable following, but it needs to build recognition as a champion of British and high quality food to do so.
- Just two million 16-24-year-olds see British origin of food as important. It is vital for the future of the sector to find ways to build rapport among the other five million who do not. High animal welfare could provide such as platform, as it is deemed important by three million 16-24-year-olds.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.