Frangrances - US - September 2012
In addition to strong sales growth, responses to Mintel’s exclusive consumer survey indicate that the time is ripe for increased product innovation in the fragrance category. Survey results show strong consumer interest in added product benefits like mood boosting and anti-aging, as well as innovative forms and extending scent into additional product categories. Healthy category growth, combined with increased product innovation makes this an exciting time for the fragrance industry.
About the US Fragrance Market Research Report
This report builds on the analysis presented in Mintel’s Fragrances—U.S., September 2011, as well as Women’s Fragrances—U.S., September 2010 and the September 2008, December 2007, November 2006, October 2004, and March 2002 reports of the same tile, and Men’s Fragrances—U.S., November 2010 and the October 2008, November 2007, December 2006, November 2004, and April 2002 reports of the same title.
This report covers the U.S. market for fragrances in all forms (i.e., spray, pour, solid, oil).
The market can be broadly segmented according to a product’s strength (the grade of alcohol denotes the percentage of alcohol to water) and/or form including:
- Perfume or an eau de parfum (EDP) usually contains 15-25% fragrance oil in pure ethyl alcohol.
- Eau de toilette (EDT) is a 6-15% solution of fragrance oil in an 80% grade of alcohol.
- Cologne is a 3-6% solution of fragrance oil in a 70% grade of alcohol.
- Scented body powders and talcs
- Gift packs.
- Unisex fragrances (not a separate segment in sales data but those that are sold in FDMx channels are included in SymphonyIRI data as either a men’s or women’s fragrance. Unisex fragrances are featured as a separate segment in Innovations and Innovators.)
- Scented shower gels, body lotions, and body sprays are not included in market/sales data but are included in consumer analysis.
Excluded from the scope of this report are line extensions of other men’s/women’s personal care products such as:
- Deodorants or antiperspirants
- Shaving products such as shaving creams, shaving gels, preshave for electric razors
- Hair gels or other styling products
- Shampoos or conditioners.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.