Free-from Foods - UK - December 2016
“The free-from market continues to see impressive growth. NPD has been a key part of recent growth, enabling the market to gain share of users’ spend through unlocking new occasions and encouraging trading up. High interest in products delivering on health, naturalness and portability highlight areas of innovation going forward.”
– Anita Winther, Research Analyst
This report will cover the following areas:
- High expectations of “clean label” in free-from
- Sparking interest in non-users is crucial challenge
- Free-from foods face competition from scratch cooking
Free-from foods are defined as foods that are manufactured and targeted specifically at consumers who suffer from food intolerances and/or food allergies or who are following avoidance diets. Foods that have been specially manufactured (eg pasta, bread) to cater for a gluten-free diet, for instance, are included within this definition.
Foods targeted at intolerance and allergy sufferers include:
- Gluten-free: Gluten is found in a range of cereals, including wheat, barley, rye and spelt. Gluten-free products can contain other allergenic proteins from wheat.
- Wheat-free: Wheat-free products can contain gluten from other cereals such as barley or rye.
- Despite these exceptions, the majority of wheat-/gluten-free products are marketed as being both wheat- and gluten-free, as gluten is present in wheat.
- Dairy-free/lactose-free: This category includes all cow’s milk alternative products, including lactose-free dairy products and non-mammalian milk alternatives (eg soya-based, rice-based and others).
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.