Frozen Meals - US - May 2012
In 2011, frozen meals generated an estimated $7.9 billion in total U.S. sales and grew by a microscopic 0.6%. Nonetheless, this was a welcome change from the previous two years of declines. Given the importance of the category to both manufacturers and retailers, both sides will need to work together to maximize potential sales opportunities. From a manufacturing perspective, companies need to develop exciting and innovative products to attract the attention of consumers who have a number of frozen meals alternatives to choose from.
In this report, Mintel evaluates the current state of the frozen meal sector, and where it is headed in the next five years. To a far lesser degree, chilled (refrigerated) meals and shelf-stable meals are also discussed in the context of competitive threats, as well as opportunities (see below for more details regarding refrigerated and shelf-stable meals).
Providing comprehensive analysis, this report addresses the following key topics:
- How are each of the category’s major segments performing, and what kind of sales can be expected in the future? Which companies and brands are leading overall, and what can be learned from them to promote greater overall success for the category?
- What are manufacturers doing in terms of innovation to create buzz around the category, and are they focusing on the attributes that matter most to consumers?
- How are key market drivers, such as the poor economy and rising food prices, impacting the frozen meal market in both the short- and long-term? How will the competitive environment influence frozen meal companies’ decision-making processes in terms of responding to current and future threats?
- What should frozen meal manufacturers do, and who should they be targeting in the years ahead in order to move the sector back into a growth state?
- Which marketing strategies make the most sense to implement at a time when marketers are interested in integrating social and traditional media to stay top of mind with consumers, who are increasingly inundated with sales messages from a variety of formats?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.