Frozen Snacks - US - April 2014
“Concerns about the nutritional value of frozen snacks will continue to be top of mind for consumers. Manufacturers will need to reformulate or expand their product offerings, ensuring these items meet consumer preferences for high-quality ingredients and convenient formats. More frequent snacking occasions will also impact product offerings, as well as the retail locations in which these products are sold.”
– Amanda Topper, Food Analyst
Some questions answered in this report include:
- What effect will more frequent snacking have?
- How can negative health perceptions of frozen snacks be improved?
- How will the changing retail landscape impact the category?
The frozen snacks category grew just 9% from 2008-13. Although both segments within the category benefit from fairly high household penetration rates, negative perceptions about their processed nature, and frozen foods in general, have the potential to suppress future growth. Despite poor nutritional perceptions related to the category, consumers continue to seek out the products, especially because of their convenience, as snacking occasions increase. Product reformulations, new formats, and flavors will help the category grow, especially among younger consumers, men, and households with children, who over index in use. Greater retail availability, especially in nonsupermarket channels, such as convenience stores and warehouse stores, will also contribute to future growth.
Mintel provides a comprehensive analysis of the following factors that have the greatest potential to impact the category’s performance:
- Types of frozen snacks purchased and how purchase preferences differ by demographics
- Occasions in which frozen snacks are consumed, including use as snacks and meal replacements
- Reasons for not consuming frozen snacks related to health, price, convenience, flavor, or format
- Impact of shifting US demographics including fewer households with children and increasing ethnic populations
- How health, price, flavor, and function impact consumer attitudes toward frozen snacks
- The factors that have the most influence on purchases of frozen snacks
- Attributes associated with a variety of frozen snacks including frozen appetizers and frozen handhelds
- Current product positioning and what marketing strategies make the most sense given the various target audiences that manufacturers are trying to connect with to maximize sales opportunities
- Which brands are gaining, which are losing, and why, within the market
- How factors such as increased snacking occasions and health concerns are impacting the market as a whole
This report builds on the analysis presented in Mintel’s Frozen Snacks – US, May 2013, as well as the 2012, 2007, 2008, and 2010 reports bearing the same name. The report also builds on analysis presented in Mintel’s Frozen Handheld – US, June 2012.
Not included in this report are:
- Frozen breaded vegetables, such as breaded mushrooms
- Frozen chicken products, such as chicken tenders, chicken nuggets, and chicken fingers
- Frozen dinners or entrées
- Refrigerated or shelf-stable snacks of any kind
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.