Fruit Juice, Juice Drinks and Smoothies - UK - November 2014
“Consumer concerns about the high sugar content of fruit juices and smoothies are reflected in the continuing decline in volume sales. However, the openness among consumers to steps that would reduce the sugar content of such drinks suggests scope for the market to engage with health-conscious consumers.”
– Aimee Townshend, Food & Drink Analyst
This report covers the following issues:
- Reduced sugar juice drinks offer scope to engage health-conscious consumers
- Interest in fruit juices/smoothies with functional benefits can add value to the market
- Dissatisfaction with fruit juices, juice drinks and smoothies in bars/restaurants sees low uptake
While fruit juice, smoothies and juice drinks are an established part of Brits’ diets, only 45% of consumers drink fruit juice at least once a week, falling to a quarter for juice drinks and one in five for smoothies. Health and cost considerations have seen these drinks largely relegated to the role of an occasional treat, with recent years seeing continuing volume declines in the market.
Recent NPD (New Product Development), however, has looked to address both concerns. Openness among consumers to steps to reduce the sugar content of such drinks, such as through the use of sweeteners or through vegetable juice or coconut water blends, highlights the scope for the market to engage health-conscious consumers.
This report examines the market for fruit juice, juice drinks and smoothies in the UK through both on- and off-trade outlets.
Fruit juice and juice drinks can be described as:
- Fruit juice: These must legally be made of 100% pure fruit juice. This may or may not include pulp and is often pasteurised to make it last longer. A typical example is Tropicana Pure Fruit Juice.
- Juice drinks: These are drinks that contain less than 100% fruit juice and have added ingredients, mainly water but these can also include sweeteners, flavourings, colourings and/or vitamins. A juice drink must contain a minimum of 2% comminuted fruit, although most have a much greater proportion. This sector includes ready-to-drink (RTD) versions of concentrated squashes, eg Ribena.
There are also some juices that contain a combination of fruit juices and vegetable juices and these are included in Mintel’s definition of fruit juices, provided they consist of 50% or more fruit juice. Coconut water brands like Vita Coco are included in the market size.
Excluded from this report: Pure vegetable juices and carbonated fruit drinks are excluded from this report and the market size. Sales of freshly squeezed fruit juice are excluded from the market size. Sales of unpacked smoothies are not included in the market size.
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.Download now
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.