Gaming Machines - UK - January 2010
- The gaming machines market grew by an estimated 19% between 2008 and 2009 to reach a total value of £2.42 billion. But this growth was entirely driven by the highly profitable B2 machines in betting shops, masking an estimated decline of around £100 million a year elsewhere in the market.
- Four times as many people currently play or are interested in playing traditional, reel-based gaming machines as the new generation of digital/touch screen products that are expected to replace them.
- Interest in digital machines is biased towards 20-24-year-olds, whereas it is over-35s who are attached to traditional reels. Tapping into the games console playing habits of the ‘screenage’ generation is one way in which operators could help to increase the consumer base at the younger end of the spectrum.
- Primarily seaside-based Family Entertainment Centres (FECs) have been the hardest hit sector of the market, reporting a 21% decline in annual revenue in 2008.
- With the lucrative B2/B3 sector reaching saturation point, innovation in lower-stake Category C product could benefit the market in 2010, helping out the struggling FECs that rely on these machines.
- The ‘impulse’ factor is crucial in this market, with six in ten players saying they play as and when they see them, rather than planning in advance. Men, under-25s and ABs are the most likely impulse players, reflecting the latent potential for new digital products in venues such as pubs and bars where these consumers spend much of their leisure time.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.