Garden Products Retailing - UK - July 2010
- There is massive potential for garden products, furniture and plants as more than eight in ten adults have a garden and 3% have an allotment.
- Around three in ten (14 million) adults think that paying more for better quality plants is worthwhile. Highlighting that plants are grown in the locality (or even on site) on product labelling would draw a connection between local sourcing and product quality.
- While repeat customers can be rewarded with loyalty schemes or gardening clubs, rewards need to be big enough to make them think twice about going to another outlet. More than a third (18 million) shop at a number of places for garden products, but only one in five (10 million) buys most of their garden products from the same outlet.
- A quarter of adults (13 million) really enjoy gardening as a hobby and this offers garden retailers the opportunity to make their garden centre a ‘social hub’ for keen gardeners and those developing an interest in gardening by launching a gardening club to highlight the social aspects of gardening.
- There is potential to get more than one in six (9 million) adults growing their own fruit and vegetables. Overcoming some of the barriers to growing their own food (including lack of space, time or skills) and giving people more reasons to have a go are crucial to increasing sales of seeds and plants.
- Display gardens that are regularly updated and take ideas from events such as the Chelsea or Hampton Court Flower Shows would help to provide more inspiration to the 17% of adults who think garden centres are a good source of ideas. The emphasis should be on practical advice to ‘create the look’ on a budget.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.