Grocery Pricing and Promotion - US - June 2013
“Digital promotions represent the future of most industries, including the grocery retail trade. Effective digital promotions do much more than simply re-create the traditional coupon experience on a new platform. Marketers are finding ways to digitally bring value to customers in extraordinary new ways. Adapting current technology can help grocers attract younger consumers but also, quite surprisingly, parents and even Walmart shoppers.”
– John N. Frank, Category Manager, Food and Drink
Some questions answered in this report include:
- How can marketers use digital promotions to attract younger consumers?
- Can grocers offer anything to parents besides the obvious value proposition?
- How can grocers compete with the expanding reach of Walmart?
Pricing and promotional strategies are crucial to the success of any grocer or food brand.
Consumers redeemed nearly 3 billion coupons in 2012, and this represents only one tactic of pricing and promotional strategy. Readers of this report will gain an understanding of what factors are shaping the pricing and promotional strategies of manufacturers and retailers offered today along with insight into marketing strategies aimed at future opportunities.
A sampling of questions raised and answered includes:
- How have brands and retailers responded to the improved economy and what saving methods continue to resonate with consumers?
- How do market factors such as rising food prices and shifting demographics shape the effectiveness of promotional strategies?
- How are marketers utilizing traditional strategies such as coupons, special offers, or aisle labeling to engage with consumers who may have value fatigue?
- What innovative promotions have grocers offered to give consumers more value beyond simply price?
- How can effective pricing and promotional strategies change consumer shopping habits?
- How do shopper demographics affect how consumers respond to pricing and promotions?
- Which strategies and tactics are most effective with which groups?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.