Grocery Store Retailing - US - January 2010
Grocery retailing has grown into a $355 billion annual business in the US. While some industry observers believe that the grocery industry is recession-proof, that is only partly true. The reality is that while consumers do need to buy food and other household items regardless of economic conditions, and tend to eat out less during recessionary times, they’re highly likely to have shifted their purchasing behavior. Consequently, these cash-strapped shoppers tend to focus more on necessities, cutting into retailers’ overall revenues and profit margins.
With this in mind, Mintel analyzes the grocery retailing industry in unprecedented detail. This report gauges the current health of the industry with a prognosis for what the future might hold, including in-depth case studies on several retailer formats. Combining this with insight from consumer research findings, Mintel explores major trends in the markets and highlights both the market’s challenges and opportunities including:
- How supermarket retailers are faring in a marketplace where consumers no longer buy all their grocery items from these traditional outlets
- The impact of an increasingly competitive environment as non-supermarket outlets have become more aggressive in attracting supermarket customers
- An overview of external factors that are shaping the grocery retailing environment and observations on how some of the industry’s biggest names are adapting their business strategies
- The role of private label not only as a way for consumers to save money but as a tool for retailers to establish their brand identity
- The role that innovation and marketing play in helping retailers differentiate themselves in a crowded marketplace
- Consumers’ attitudes toward shopping in general and how this influences the marketplace and grocery retailers
- Where consumers buy their groceries and the reasons behind shopping at one outlet type over another
- The impact of race/Hispanic origin on where shoppers tend to do their grocery shopping
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.