Hair Colourants - Europe - October 2011
The austere economic setting had an adverse effect on European value sales of hair colours, with France, Germany and Italy all posting a decline in 2010. Spain managed only modest growth, but the UK market bucked the downward trend and posted dynamic growth of 7%. Germany remains by far the largest of the Big 5, with sales valued at €413.5 million.
Performance remains the main arena for product innovation, with a focus on long-lasting results and ease/speed of use. Foam products represent an innovation breakthrough in a market where revisions to existing formulations and extended shade ranges are typically the ‘news’.
Some key points from the report include:
- European value sales of hair colour have been adversely affected by the economic recession, with the UK market clearly the most dynamic in 2010.
- Permanent hair colour accounts for the lion’s share of sales.
- Product efficiency is key to success in the competitive colourants market, with long-lasting results a particular focus for new product development in addition to ease of use.
- Consumer concerns regarding the use of chemicals in colourants have resulted in an expanding range of plant-based products that offer a more natural dyeing solution.
- French women are the most likely to have coloured hair, but the penetration of at-home colourants, bleaches and lighteners peaks in Spain at 42%.
- Men’s use of colourants remains confined to a small minority, but the male market offers substantial potential.
- The main reasons to use colourants is to cover grey hair and/or change to a new look.
- ‘Bad hair days’ ring true for the majority of women who feel more confident if their hair looks good. Women connect their femininity and beauty to their hair, reflecting an emotive approach.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.