Haircare - UK - April 2014
“While the haircare markets remain in growth, the pace has slowed in 2013 as consumers turn to savvier shopping methods to secure the cheapest prices, and scientific as well as technological advancements cause a cannibalisation of product needs.”
– Charlotte Libby, Senior Beauty Analyst
Some questions answered in this report include:
- How can brand loyalty be built in the shampoo and conditioner market?
- Are product repertoires suffering from cannibalisation?
- Does anti-ageing create opportunities for the haircare markets?
In 2013, retail value sales in the haircare market grew 2.7%, driven by a strong year of product innovation and advertising. Haircare products such as shampoo are also bolstered by their basic hygiene positioning, used by over eight in 10 adults. However when compared to the pace of growth in 2012, the market has begun to slow, with post-recession consumers utilising savvy shopping techniques such as stocking up in times of price promotion and switching to discount or online retailers in order to save money in the category.
New product development has continued at a steady pace in the haircare market, although future growth can be achieved by harnessing key areas of interest such as hair fullness and anti-breakage.
Consumer research in this report explores product usage and frequency across the shampoo, conditioner, treatment and styling markets, as well as purchase influencers and consumer attitudes towards haircare routines.
Products covered in this report
- Shampoos: All types of shampoo for washing hair including beauty or standard shampoos as well as anti-dandruff/medicated types. Shampoo is also segmented by hair type and by formulae for men and babies and children. Also includes 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner.
- Conditioners and treatments: Rinse-out and leave-in conditioners, intensive treatments such as hot oils, serums, masks and sprays.
- Styling products: All products that are used to style, sculpt or fix the hair. These include mousses, gels, gel sprays, jelly, styling sprays, lotions, serums, gums, glue, paste, mud, clay, waxes, creams, milks, styling water, glosses and hairsprays.
Sales of shampoo, conditioner and styling products through all retail outlets and sold by hair salons for home use are covered by this report.
Shampoos and conditioners used by hairdressers in salons are excluded from the market size of this report, as are hybrid shower gels/shampoos (see Mintel’s Soap, Bath and Shower Products – UK, February 2014 report) and prescription or OTC treatment shampoos for thinning hair.
This report also excludes hair colourants, home perm treatments and hair relaxers (see Mintel’s Hair Colourants and Home Perms – UK, November 2013 report).
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.Download now
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.