Hairdryers and Other Hair Styling Products - UK - January 2011
Personal grooming is an area that appears fairly recession-proof. Even when times are hard, consumers want to look good and often see personal toiletries and cosmetics as affordable treats that help to lift their mood and make them feel rewarded for their busy lives.
- Ownership of hair styling products expanded by an estimated 4.4m adults over 2007-10. In 2010, over three quarters – 30 million – adults own a hairdryer, of which some two thirds are women.
- The number of women owning straighteners rose from 4.6. in 2007 (35%) to 5.3m (45%) in 2010, as jump of 15% as more women adopt straighteners as an essential part of their regular hair regime.
- When Mintel last examined this market in 2007 there were a myriad of brands, often with little to differentiate them. Subsequently, two household names, Braun and Morphy Richards, have decided to leave the UK market.
- There has been a shift in habits over 2007-10, with fewer women visiting hairdressers, while those who do visit are tending to space out their trips. This means more women are looking after their hair at home and, arguably, keen to use appliances that give their hair the best results.
- Six in ten women shop around on price and over half are happy with own-label, but around a quarter would buy top of the range products. For 10m women, quality matters more than price when they choose hair styling appliances.
- Over a quarter of women – rising to four in ten 16-24s, say they couldn’t live without their straighteners. But one in four try not to use heated appliances too often indicating an element of caution about over-damaging their hair.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.