Health Cash Plans and Private Medical Insurance - UK - August 2009
- In spite of the economic downturn, the total number of PMI subscribers increased by 4% in 2008, with the corporate sector rising by 6% rise and the personal sector remaining flat.
- Contribution income from health cash plans increased by 4% in 2008, although the number of subscribers fell by 2% from 2.99 million to 2.94 million.
- 2009 is likely to be a much more challenging year, however, particularly in the corporate PMI sector due to business collapses and budgetary cutbacks.
- Unlike health cash plans, The PMI market is heavily intermediated. However, intermediary interest in the health cash plan market is picking up – in 2002, just 3% of sales were intermediated, compared to 17% in 2008.
- Mintel’s consumer research shows that 19% of people in the UK are covered by PMI (around 9.3 million people) and 6% have a health cash plan (around 2.9 million people).
- Retention in the personal sector may not be too bad this year as policyholders really value their cover – 44% of people with individual PMI said if things got tight they’d do whatever they could to make savings elsewhere before cutting health insurance.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.