Healthy Snacking Consumer (The) - US - December 2011
According to Simmons NCS/NHCS, nearly two thirds of respondents often snack between meals; yet, only 27% report usually only snacking on healthy foods. Although this represents a small share of highly committed healthy snackers, the incidence for occasional healthy snack consumption is far-reaching.
Mintel’s custom research finds that among those who eat healthy snacks, the average number of snacks consumed in a given day is 2.55, of which 1.81 are considered healthy snacks. This means that 78% of daily snacks are nutritious choices, which are balanced by a smaller share of indulgent or “junk” food snacks each day.
It does seem that there’s disconnect between consumers’ perceptions of their healthy snacking habits and trends in the incidence for overweight/obese Americans. This report explores this hypothesis using consumers’ attitudes and behaviors toward healthy snacking using insight into market drivers, competitive challenges and category innovation.
Among the topics covered in this report are:
- categorization of healthy snacks
- frequency of snack consumption compared to incidence of healthy snack usage
- economic impact on use and innovation of healthy snacks
- strategic marketing efforts that connect brands and product lines with health
- the importance of product attributes, diet/nutritional qualities, and packaging/branding on healthy snack selection for adults and children
- cross-tab analysis that identifies a specific demographic that represents the most significant growth potential for healthy snacks
- cross-tab analysis that identifies the most engaged users of healthy snacks—representing the core demographic for makers and marketers of healthy snacks to consider
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.