Holiday Booking Process - UK - March 2010
This report examines consumer trends, how the recession has impacted the holiday booking process and the future of the holiday market. In addition, it includes a special chapter focusing on consumer responses to ‘optional extras’ on flights, specifically attempting to gauge which are most important to travellers – and which options they would like to see added.
- Going online is increasingly important to the holiday booking process. Over one-in-two travellers report having booked all elements of their last overseas trip this way.
- The internet has also become the most important holiday research tool. Two-in-five holidaymakers read reviews online and price-comparison websites are now more popular than specialist publications or holiday sections in newspapers.
- Use of travel agents is most likely in the North and Scotland. People who live in these regions are twice as likely as the national average to book holidays face-to-face.
- The long-term trend away from the package trip and towards independent bookings shows no sign of slowing, despite the recession and predictions from some quarters that the pattern would reverse.
- One-in-two holidaymakers report looking at cheap flight availability on the internet before booking, making it the most popular research method. Four-in-ten decide on their destination before anything else.
- Mintel’s exclusive consumer research into the ‘optional extras’ available to purchase with flights reveals that while existing choices such as extra legroom, food/drinks on board and movies/games are all popular, airlines may be missing out by not offering guaranteed seating away from children/babies – one-in-seven holidaymakers rank this as a top-three choice.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.