Holidays to Spain - UK - April 2010
- The recession hit UK breaks to Spain hard. Holidays fell by over 1.7 million trips to an estimated total of 10.3 million. Despite this impact, the country remained our favourite overseas destination.
- Six in ten adults have taken a break in Spain at some point, similar to the overall percentage of holidaymakers amongst the UK population. A core of two in ten has never been to Spain and reports no desire to go, unchanged from 2007.
- Across 2010, both the number of holidays to Spain and overall expenditure look likely to increase as consumer confidence returns and many people consider overseas holidays once again. However, average spend on those breaks will fall as sun-seekers take advantage of cheap deals and discounts – Spain currently fares very well against other eurozone countries in value-for-money terms.
- The aging of the UK population is not an unwelcome development for Spain. The most likely adults to visit the country are people aged 55-64, followed by adults aged 45-54. Both age groups are forecast to increase in number between now and 2015.
- The lion’s share of holidays to Spain are booked on the internet. Between five and six in ten are arranged this way, and Independent holidays now make up over 60% of all trips.
- Almost two in five people are likely to/may take a Spanish beach holiday in future. One in four feel the same way about a cultural/sightseeing trips, and just under one in five are interested in city breaks. However Spain’s very popularity with the British is somewhat of an Achilles’ heel, with one in five agreeing that “There are too many British people on holiday in Spain”.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.