Holidays to Turkey & Egypt - The Rise of the 'Far Near' - UK - November 2010
This report analyses market trends and consumer attitudes towards holidays in Turkey and Egypt, investigating the core market factors, strengths and weaknesses, key players and products in the industry.
- Holidays to Turkey have reached an estimated 1.8 million trips in 2010, with holidays to Egypt at an estimated 0.8 million trips. This represents a 50% and 61% rise from 2005 respectively, bucking the overall overseas holiday trend where volume fell by 15% in 2009 then an estimated 4% during 2010.
- Turkey was the sixth most popular overseas destination for UK holidaymakers in 2009, and is poised to overtake Greece and Italy. The country’s rise has been at the expense of the package market to both Spain and Greece, however the former – Britain’s number-one choice – remains four times bigger (in terms of package volume).
- Egypt lay just outside the top ten destinations in 2009, below Cyprus (10th) and Belgium (11th). It is expected to be in the top ten by the end of 2010. After the US, Egypt is the second most popular outside-Europe destination for UK holidaymakers by a considerable margin.
- Mintel’s exclusive consumer research reveals that both destinations have great scope for further development. Three-in-ten and four-in-ten consumers haven’t yet been to Turkey and Egypt, but say they may go in future.
- Turkey is particularly seen as a value choice – seven out of ten of those who have been in the past five years agree that it ‘is a good value for money destination’. Heritage and cultural tourism are the major selling points for Egypt, with two in five people attracted by these features.
- The ‘traditional’ travel trade continues to dominate holidays to both destinations. Over three in five trips to Turkey and four in five holidays to Egypt are sold as packages. In addition, travel agents still play a critical role. Some 65% of holidaymakers to Turkey and 72% of holidaymakers to Egypt say they used a travel agent for their booking in 2009.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.