Holidaywear Shopping - UK - December 2010
Holidays trigger substantial levels of buying: six in ten adults shop for clothing and footwear, seven in ten buy toiletries and related items, and three in ten buy entertainment products.Women and under-35s are the primary buyers of holidaywear, and for casual daywear and swimwear there is a still tighter concentration among the under-25s. Younger consumers are socially active and keen to make an impact.When other items like toiletries and entertainment are included however, it is families that have the widest purchase portfolio
- Holidaywear is a ‘must-have’ purchase for many, and new clothes are typically bought by six in ten people before a holiday. Holidays are therefore a key driver of clothing purchases.
- Women are vitally important to holidaywear sales, primarily for themselves but also for their children and, sometimes, their men. They feel a need for a wider variety of holiday clothes than do men, to dress appropriately for all occasions.
- Although many consumers planned to spend less on holidays in 2010 and did not plan to take more than one holiday in the year, for four in ten adults, a holiday remains a high priority and three in ten planned to take their usual holiday breaks. One in four also scheduled more than one holiday.
- Last-minute holiday shoppers tend to be men (27% versus 19% women) and aged under 25. Although this gives retailers a smaller window of opportunity, there is still scope to increase sales to last-minute holidaywear shoppers by presenting them with simplified shopping solutions and services such as next-day delivery.
- Most consumers stick to their usual shopping habits when buying holidaywear. They tend to buy from their usual preferred retailers rather than trading down, and they don’t aim to stray far from their usual fashion style. Thus, new holidaywear items will fit into their wardrobes back at home.
- Many retailers have been able to use their websites to expand their ranges and offer a holiday shop online throughout the year, increasing choice for those who want to shop out of season.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.