Home Improvement - US - February 2011
In the context of a still weak housing market and a slow recovery, the $10.5 billion DIY home improvement market has seen inflation-adjusted sales fall 21.2% since 2005. However, the need for on-going maintenance and repair, consumer interest in resource-saving products and pent-up demand are among the factors driving growth in 2010 and likely to help propel the market in 2011.
This report analyzes the home improvement market at this key moment of transition out of the recession and identifies which consumer groups and product areas will be most important for growth over the next five to 10 years. It offers up-to-date research to give insight into how best to target key demographic groups and reach out to consumers.
In addition to analyzing sales growth and key trends in major segments (paint/wall-covering, flooring, plumbing and “other” supplies and materials), this report offers insights into the activities of major players in the market. It probes branding and marketing strategies, highlighting the use of both traditional and new social media. It showcases innovative products and approaches in major segments and among key retailers. It examines “green” trends and products, analyzing these in the context of consumer attitudes, purchasing activity and future plans.
Consumer research is analyzed by major demographic groups and probes areas including:
- Which consumer groups are most likely to have undertaken home improvement?
- What type of remodeling projects have been undertaken recently or are planned for the year ahead? How does this compare with findings of the past five years?
- Which groups are most likely to take on interior painting, exterior painting or staining projects? Which are most likely to own or rent workshop equipment?
- How much on average did different consumer groups spend on home improvement in the past year?
- What are the main barriers to undertaking home improvement activity? What role does a lack of money, skill or tools play in limiting work among different demographic groups?
- Which activities—ranging from changing a light bulb to building a deck—are different consumer groups most likely to do by themselves? For which do they seek help from a spouse, friend or family member and for which do they hire help?
- To what extent do consumers take on basic resource-saving activities (recycling, using energy-efficient bulbs, etc.)? To what extent do they plan to invest in costlier “green” products (energy efficient windows, improved insulation, solar panels)?
- How do consumers rate different types of home improvement stores in terms of selection and staff availability, knowledge or friendliness?
- What are the most widely used brands of interior paint, exterior paint and stains? Of tools and workshop equipment? How does brand usage vary with key demographics?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.