Home Security - UK - September 2010
This report looks at home security products and services, both in terms of the ownership and purchasing of products that improve safety in the home or reduce the likelihood of a burglary or break-in and the measures people take to protect their home and belongings
- The major DIY retailers dominate distribution of home security products, but this is a sector where specialists perform well because they can deliver installation services as well as home security goods. Good advice would motivate 18m adults to decide where they shop for home security, while installation services appeal to 14m adults, suggesting more opportunity for the major DIY companies to develop relationships with installers.
- Some 9m adults would consider reviewing their home security when moving house or undertaking a major redecorating project. So the recent economic downturn, which has created a slowdown in house moving, has played a part in depressing demand for home security items.
- Awareness is driven by campaigns by the government, which has publicised the advantages of smoke alarms, the dangers of carbon monoxide and sensible precautions against burglaries.One in ten adults have fitted officially-endorsed security products and nine in ten have a smoke alarm - although only half regularly check that the alarm is in working order.
- Even though there is a long-term decrease in crime in the UK, widespread media reports of theft, violent crime and anti-social behaviour keeps fuelling awareness of theft and could even be blamed for creating a fear culture. In a typical year 2 in every 1000 homes will have a fire, 20 in every 1000 will be burgled and a tiny fraction (a total of 37 incidents nationally each year) will suffer from a carbon monoxide leak.
- But consumers are more worried than these statistics might indicate, as 9 million consider the area where they live to have a medium to high risk of a burglary, although this is far lower than the 34m who live in an area where they believe the risk of burglary is medium to low.
- For the future the ageing population, underlying growth in number of households in the UK and the trend towards living in flats will all help contribute to underlying growth in demand for home security items. As economic conditions improve and consumers begin to move house more regularly, we expect an upturn in demand .
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.