House Building (Industrial Report) - UK - July 2014
“The threat to the industry is the growing likelihood of an increase in interest rates, in turn leading to a rise in mortgage repayments. Mortgage lending rules are also being tightened as a consequence of the increasing risk of another housing bubble, making it harder for buyers to secure finances to purchase a home.”
– Lewis Cone, Market Research Analyst
This report will explore the following key questions with regard to House Building in the UK:
- What are the key drivers for public and private housing in the house build industry?
- Has the industry recovered from the aftermath of the financial crisis?
- How have recent government schemes affected market demand and supply?
- How does the performance of the economy directly relate to the development of the industry?
- Is overall market performance determined by a few regions or shared evenly throughout the UK?
- What does the future hold for house building developments?
This report analyses the UK market for new housing, providing details on both the public and private sector, as well as a detailed regional analysis of activity as the market is not homogeneous, and many operators are active in confined regions. For the purposes of this report, the following definitions have been utilised:
- Public sector housing: comprising housing schemes, old people's homes and the provision in housing sites of roads and services for gas, water, electricity, sewage and drainage. Such housing schemes are funded by a local authority or (increasingly) housing association.
- Private sector housing: comprising all privately owned buildings for residential use, such as houses, flats and maisonettes, bungalows, cottages and the provision of services to new developments.
- Starts: defined as when work commences on the laying of a dwelling's foundation.
- Completion: defined as when a dwelling becomes available for occupation.
- Dwelling: a building, or any part of a building, which forms a separate and self contained set of premises designed to be occupied by a single family.
- East of England: Cambridgeshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Norfolk, Suffolk
- East Midlands: Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire, Nottinghamshire
- North: Cleveland, Durham, Northumberland, Tyne & Wear
- North West: Cheshire, Greater Manchester, Lancashire, Merseyside, Cumbria
- South East: Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Oxfordshire, Surrey, West Sussex, Greater London
- South West: Avon, Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire
- West Midlands: Hereford, Worcester, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Warwickshire, West Midlands
- Yorkshire and Humberside: Humberside, North Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, West Yorkshire
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.Download now
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.