Household Fresheners - UK - December 2010
Household fresheners are enjoying a period of rapid innovation, with new fragrances, new formats and new participants in the overall market. Fresheners have moved on from being a functional product designed to cover unpleasant smells, into being a more integral part of improving the general ambience of the home. This report looks at the landscape for innovation among household fresheners and the way in which manufacturers have created premiumisation in the sector.
- Sales of household fresheners grew by 17% over 2005-10 to reach £356 million. Growth has been driven by innovation, especially the introduction of powered fresheners and new fragrances.
- Three major companies dominate the market; RB (29%), SC Johnson (26%) and P&G (18%). P&G’s acquisition of Ambi Pur from Sara Lee in July 2010 has concentrated supply and brings P&G closer to its main rivals in terms of sales and market share.
- The leading brand is RB’s Air Wick which has a market share of 28%. However, it has lost a little market share in the face of stiffening competition from Glade (SC Johnson) and Febreze (P&G).
- Own-label is a significant force in household fresheners and accounts for some 18% share of the whole market. Growth of own-label brands outstripped the market as a whole over 2008-10. Own-label sales grew 6% over 2008-10 to £62.5 million. At the same time market growth was a little under 3%.
- In the UK two thirds of households (65%) use household fresheners. All socio-economic groups use fresheners, although C2DEs are the heaviest users. Household fresheners are used by 61% of adults, and 24% use scented candles.
- The main factors influencing choice of household fresheners are scent (51%), promotions (28%), performance (27%), brand (23%) and low price (23%). Under 35s more inclined to go for the cheapest options, are less brand loyal and will buy products that attract more loyalty points.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.