Household Fresheners - UK - October 2009
- More than four in ten adults have an air freshener on hand in the bathroom, but there is a strong preference to open the window rather than use air fresheners.
- Households with cats, dogs or caged birds are significantly more likely than average to use household fresheners or scented candles in order to mask unpleasant pet smells.
- 17 million homes use household fresheners although the recession has seen people cut out spend on unnecessary items and household fresheners were used in 300,000 fewer households in 2009 compared to 2007.
- Compared to the French, Spanish and Germans, the Brits are the only nation to favour the aerosol above all other formats. It is a convenient format that lends itself for use in the bathroom as a permanent standby to mask embarrassing smells.
- The recession has seen consumers rationalise their spend on unnecessary items. As a result, in 2009, one in five adults had cut back on how much they spend on household fresheners.
- The thought of breathing in the chemicals used in the household fresheners is the biggest put-off and is driving people to seek out more natural alternatives, such as reed diffusers and scented fresh cut flowers.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.