Household Hard Surface Cleaning and Care Products - UK - November 2013
“Cautious consumer spending along with private label and promotional activity present a challenge for the market. But there are opportunities for growth if hard surface cleaning brands can evolve much stronger points of reference and meet a wider range of needs which are not just about getting a surface clean but also about what is most important to consumers whilst they are carrying out the cleaning task. This includes other results the task will achieve, such as a sensory experience for the cleaner and pleasurable impact for visitors to the home.”
– Richard Caines, Senior Household Care Analyst
Some questions answered in this report include:
- In what ways can companies encourage more people to use a wider variety of different product formats around the home?
- How can brands balance the desire for multifunction products against interest in products that work better on specific surfaces?
- What areas of product development offer the best prospects for adding value in terms of the willingness of consumers to pay more for them?
- Which demographic groups are most important to the market and how can they best be targeted to maximise sales?
- What future opportunities are there for leveraging the continuing interest in antibacterial products?
Valued at around £320 million, the hard surface cleaners market tipped into a small decline in 2013 after years of steady growth between 2008 and 2012. The downturn bears witness to challenging trading conditions for companies targeting this industry, including pressure on the price of branded products as a result of an increase in promotional offers and own-brand launch activity.
This report also looks at other factors underpinning the market, such as shifting consumer behaviour, societal trends and competition between new products, as well as manufacturer and retailer efforts to harness or mitigate them. Mintel also takes a view on the future of the market and what trends offer indicators for growth.
This report examines the following markets:
- multipurpose cleaners, including antibacterial cleaners
- kitchen cleaners
- floor cleaners
- bathroom cleaners
- shower cleaners.
These products come in a number of formats, including sprays, mousses, creams, foams and disposable wipes.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.