Housewares Retailing - UK - October 2009
- The impact of the recession on housewares is clearly shown by 2.5 million fewer adults buying housewares in 2009 compared with 2006, with purchases such as curtains and lighting among the most affected.
- Among retailers it is the supermarkets and Wilkinson's who have gained the most ground since 2004, but Argos remains the number one choice with over a third of adults (18 million) making a housewares purchase from them.
- Housewares buyers are increasingly price conscious, with nearly three in ten shopping around more at different stores to get the lowest price (15 million) and a similar proportion browsing more online to get the best price (14 million).
- There is a desire for keeping up appearances and more than four in ten adults (21 million) think it is important that their home looks good for visiting guests.
- Cooking and home entertaining are high on the agenda, with a third (17 million) spending a lot of time preparing and cooking foods and three in ten (15 million) regularly entertaining friends.
- With a quarter of adults (12 million) having redecorated a room in the last two years there exists a significant opportunity for driving more sales of home accessories.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.