Ice Cream - UK - September 2009
- There is growing demand for indulgent ‘treats’ in the British diet and the £1.3 billion ice cream market is tapping into this demand with growing sales of luxury and premium ice creams at the expense of standard varieties. 14m adults buy ice cream as a treat.
- There are unexploited opportunities for sorbets and frozen yogurts (part of the ‘healthy’ ice cream sector valued at £47m); as an estimated 21m and 23m adults respectively do not buy these products. Non-buyers tend towards over 45-year-olds in the less affluent C2DE group.
- Ice cream suppliers need to ensure that they actively promote the category all year round, and not save their promotional spend just for summer, as 16m adults eat ice cream all year round.
- Flavour is the deciding factor for over 22 million people when choosing what ice cream to buy. Ice cream lovers are adventurous as 14m of them like trying out different flavours, offering opportunities for manufacturers to encourage consumers to trial a wider selection of innovative flavours.
- Around 6m consumers think that sorbets are healthier than traditional ice cream; these consumers are likely to be 35-54 years old in the more affluent AB socio-economic group.
- Value for money is ever more important for consumers are they look to make their shopping budgets go further and just under 7m consumers feel that multi pack ice cream bars (e.g. Mars, Snickers) are good value for money.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.