In- vs Out-of-town Leisure - UK - November 2009
- Out-of-town leisure complexes are seen by consumers as a convenient, safe environment for responsible people to enjoy and reward themselves and this is something they could seek to capitalise on a bit more than they currently do. Ease of parking is the primary attraction of them for four out of ten consumers. A quarter like these complexes because of their good choice of venues.
- Proximity and accessibility are the key drivers of the city/town centre market. Approaching a third like being able to visit several different places in the same day/evening while more than a quarter like the fact they can get there easily on foot and by public transport.
- Planning policy has driven the focus of leisure development firmly into town centres. The consequences are two-speed development with expansion of some market sectors like restaurants and bars continuing apace, to the detriment of sectors such as large-footprint health and fitness and tenpin bowling operations, less suited to such locations.
- The recession has slowed the pace of leisure developments to a trickle. Once the schemes currently being built are completed, new developments are expected to virtually dry up until investor, potential tenant and consumer confidence all recover.
- Food, drink and cinema are the major drivers of the in- and out-of-town leisure markets. Nearly 41 million adults (81%) have eaten out in a restaurant or pub at an out-of-town leisure complex in the past year while almost 40 million (79%) have done so in city/town centre restaurants.
- The importance of drinks sales is underlined by the fact that 36 million adults (71%) have had a drink in city/town centre pubs/bars, while almost as many (69%) have done so at a pub/bar in an out-of-town complex. Cinema is the other major driver of footfall, with nearly 29 million people (57% of adults) visiting a city/town centre cinema in the past year and over 33 million (66%) going to see a film out-of-town.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.