Internet-enabled Home Entertainment - UK - March 2011
The key to mass-market adoption of wireless home entertainment devices is convincing consumers that internet TV is a central part of their lives. Offering exclusive content would be the most effective way of achieving this, as it is the feeling of missing out on programming they really want to see that is likely to have the most profound effect on those outside the early adopter groups.
- Women appear to be more single-minded than men in terms of being driven purely by price when it comes to buying new technology, while 16-24-year-olds are less fixated on price compared to the overall population.
- Although looks are clearly a secondary consideration in this market, the fact that nearly a fifth of consumers would make looks their second priority (ie ahead of at least two of the ‘core’ concerns – price, functionality and brand) indicates the extent to which fitting in with the décor can be make or break for many consumers when it comes to electronics.
- Nearly half of all consumers agree that Wi-Fi capability is ‘nice to have’ but not something they would be prepared to pay extra for, while about a third ‘don’t see the point’ in having wireless connectivity in devices other than laptops and PCs, suggesting that many need to be convinced as to what wireless can do for them.
- Some 29% of consumers agree that they would pay extra for a TV with Wi-Fi capability while 24% agree they would pay extra for radio or music player with Wi-Fi capability. Consumers that are under 35, and from higher socio economic groups are more likely to agree.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.