Irish Lifestyles - Ireland - June 2012
Irish consumers are living under the threat of the breakup of the eurozone and NI consumers are already faced with a double-dip recession in 2012. This has seen their spending in a number of sectors decline, with a corresponding decrease in spending power.
However, this has not resulted in a decline in Irish consumers’ willingness to spend on the latest technological gadgets (including one-off payments and subscription costs), as Irish consumers are increasingly spending more time on the internet and social networking sites, whilst penetration of mobile devices continues to increase apace.
The love affair between Irish consumers and technology has positive and negative effects on society at large. Going forward, technology will continue to play a key role in shaping the ways that companies communicate with, and sell to, Irish consumers.
Some key questions answered in this report include:
- How has the economic downturn impacted on consumers’ relationship with technology and the internet? – Has lower spending power impacted on consumers’ willingness to upgrade their technology devices? How has the downturn influenced technology usage for entertainment?
- How has technology influenced consumer shopping and leisure habits? – In what ways have greater internet access and the proliferation of technology devices changed the way Irish consumers shop for food, finance and travel? In what ways have they changed leisure activities and how consumers arrange holidays?
- What technology devices do consumers own? – What are the most essential technology items that consumers own? What devices do consumers intend to buy/upgrade to in the next 12 months?
- Funding technology and the internet? – With consumer spending power declining, how are consumers funding their purchasing of expensive technology items?
- What positive and negative effects do consumers feel that technology has on their lives? – What are the biggest benefits and pitfalls to using technology and the internet?
- Looking forward, what types of technological innovations would Irish consumers be willing to pay more for when buying household appliances and everyday items?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.