Lager - UK - November 2009
- Since 2004, lager value sales fell by 11% to reach £11.4bn in 2009. Nevertheless, it remains the largest selling alcohol drink.
- While the trade defines premium lager as having an ABV (alcohol content) of around 5% and above, only one in ten regular lager drinkers think that stronger lager is better quality.
- Since 2003, standard lager (usually an ABV of around 4%) has become increasingly popular compared to premium, and now accounts for three out of every five pints drunk.
- The two biggest selling brands (Carling and Foster’s) are both standard lagers and have benefitted from the popularity of their extra cold draught among younger drinkers. Stella Artois is the third largest brand, despite being market leader in the off-trade.
- Whether lager is served extra cold is the greatest motivator when choosing between brands, influencing 4m regular lager drinkers/potential drinkers. Second is provenance, with 3m being influenced by whether a lager brand is from a traditional beer making country e.g. Czech Republic.
- In 2009, twice as many men (32m) drunk lager as women (16m). This is a challenge for the market as in-home drinking is increasingly taking over from pub drinking, meaning a compromise purchase between genders is vital.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.