Laptops and PCs - US - August 2012
Computers have become important productivity and communications tools and have brought an endless stream of content via the web to the majority of U.S. homes. In doing so, these hardware portals to the online world have become a significant, $48 billion market according to Mintel’s estimates. However, as user needs have shifted from productivity tasks to entertainment and on-the-go-accessibility, this mature industry is facing tremendous change. Smartphones and tablets have become a potent competitive threat, and companies that have been able to deliver the combination of features consumers are looking for—such as Apple—have been able to claim market share from the previous leaders, HP and Dell. Furthermore, players that previously primarily focused on PC software—including Google and Microsoft—are emerging as additional potential competitors.
Mintel’s report will help companies better understand this rapidly changing marketplace, so they can adjust their plans and drive for success. The following issues will be discussed:
- What opportunities for growth remain for PC makers, given the maturity of this sector?
- How is the growing focus on tablets and smartphones reshaping the PC market?
- Which industry players have been most successful at navigating the rapidly changing technology marketplace?
- Which PC brands have been best able to capture consumer interest and loyalty?
- How are consumers interacting with PCs today?
- How aware are consumers of new features, such as 3-D and touchscreen PCs, and will these features lead to higher levels of purchasing?
- Do consumers feel their current PCs are “good enough” today, and will manufacturers be able to continue to rely on upgrades and replacements to fuel the market?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.