Laundry Accessories - UK - April 2010
- Achieving estimated value sales of £257 million in 2010, the market for laundry accessories is shaped by the availability of outdoor space, impacting directly on the number and type of laundry accessories people own.
- The purchase of laundry accessories, such as washing lines and ironing boards, tends to be planned, most notably for larger items where people like to be able to reserve their products online and shop in a store where there is parking close by.
- Although outdoor washing lines are responding to innovation in washing machines with larger drums with extra line for the larger wash loads, indoor clothes horses have not kept pace.
- Μany consumers feel a degree of guilt when running the washing machine for a half-load or using the tumble dryer unnecessarily, providing companies operating in the market with green opportunities for new product development and social initiatives.
- As functional items, laundry accessories generate little excitement and are generally only purchased when the old one has broken or worn out.
- As products that are usually stored out of sight, style and design is unimportant. Half of adults (an estimated 19 million adults) prefer plain and unfussy styles and designs.
- Price is the greatest influence on purchase. Shoppers tend to buy the products they perceive to be the most durable for their budget.
- More than seven in ten adults own seven or more types of laundry accessories. People with outdoor space tend to own more items including outdoor accessories such as washing lines and associated paraphernalia such as pegs, peg bags and laundry baskets. Outdoor accessories need to innovate in product concepts that can be adapted for indoor use to appeal to people drying indoors either because of a lack of outdoor space or owing to bad weather.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.