Life and Protection - UK - October 2009
The guaranteed acceptance over-50s market has seen spectacular volume growth over the last few years. Its simple marketing message, affordable premiums and a surge in interest from bancassurers have made this the star player of the life insurance market.
- IFAs still account for around half of all premiums, showing that despite a drive to simplify products, consumers are still wary of buying without advice.
- The high street banks could be key to future growth. Most people prefer to buy cover face-to-face, making the branch network a vital distribution tool. For modest levels of cover, premiums are fairly low, potentially making it a relatively easy product to sell in-branch.
- On the subject of premiums, there remains a degree of misunderstanding. Particularly among younger, less affluent people, there is a widespread belief that life cover is simply too expensive. People won't even bother getting a quote if they automatically assume that insurance is out of their price range.
- Life cover isn't currently covered by the retail distribution review, but the review is still creating major changes across the industry. Life companies are placing an increased emphasis on selling direct to the consumer, anticipating a fall in business volumes coming through the IFA sector.
- Consumer research suggests that there's scope to bring 20 million consumers into the market - most of whom have never owned cover before, but who are open to an offer.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.