Lifestyles of Baby Boomers - US - December 2011
Economic concerns are the underlying theme of the lifestyle changes made by many of the nation’s Baby Boomers. Since the recession officially ended in 2009, there have been few positive developments regarding the tepid state of U.S. economic growth. With retirement funds ravaged, jobs scarce, and costs for necessities such as transportation and healthcare rising, Boomers have had to make cuts in their entertainment and leisure spending compared with the pre-recession years. At the same time, Boomers are experiencing lifestyle changes and new financial challenges, as many find themselves assisting their grown children by opening up their homes to them and/or providing financial assistance. The finances of Boomers may be further strained among those offering financial and/or residential support to their parents.
Compared with 2009 when Mintel last published a report on this topic, Lifestyles of Baby Boomers—U.S., October 2009, an increasing volume of marketing efforts appear to be directed toward Boomers. However, Boomers remain underrepresented in most media advertising, given the size and relative wealth of the generation.
This report addresses the following questions about Baby Boomers:
- What is the spending power of Baby Boomers? How vital is this important and influential consumer group to brand growth?
- How secure are Baby Boomers about their finances and how does this differ by racial or ethnic group?
- How have Baby Boomers made economic sacrifices, foregoing the “finer things” to care for other family members suffering through tough economic times?
- What is the best approach to marketing to the high percentage of Baby Boomer divorcées?
- How do Baby Boomers figure in to America’s workplace?
- What are the eating and dietary habits of Baby Boomers, both in the home and in restaurants? How have diet and healthy dining choices gained increased importance—particularly among Baby Boomer women?
- What level of trust do Baby Boomers have in the nation’s elected leaders?
- How active are Baby Boomers in social organizations and clubs?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.