Lighting Equipment (Industrial Report) - UK - April 2013
This report will give you fast, easy access to robust information from analysis and critical recommendations – so you can make the right decisions, at the right time. It will challenge routine thinking by providing you with fresh, new perspectives that energize your thought process.
Using primary research and multiple secondary data sources only a Mintel report will provide you with the complete picture.
For the purposes of this report, the lighting equipment market includes both lamps and light fittings.
The market is segmented into the following sectors:
- filament lamps, which rely on incandescent coiled filaments. These lamps are also known in the industry as general lighting services bulbs or incandescent bulbs
- tungsten halogen lamps, which provide a long life and are available in small sizes. These lamps are predominantly used in non-residential applications, although they are gaining an increasing share of the residential sector. Tungsten halogen lamps are popular within commercial applications, notably hotels, restaurants, retail and offices. Within the residential sector, halogen lamps are popular amongst younger people, looking for design and versatility as the lamps can be installed in a range of appealing luminaries
- Fluorescent lamps, which provide a long product life span and offer an energy efficient lighting alternative. However the initial cost of these lamp tends to be relatively high although the costs have been reduced in recent years. Fluorescent lamps are mainly used in commercial and, to a lesser extent, industrial applications. Residential applications tend to be restricted to kitchens and bathrooms, although the share of fluorescent lamps in the residential sector is increasing due to energy efficiency
- discharge lamps, these include a variety of products. Low pressure sodium discharge lamps (SOX) produce a characteristic yellow light and are widely used for street lighting. High pressure sodium lamps (SON) produce a golden light that is often used in outdoor lighting applications. Mercury discharge lamps produce an ultraviolet light similar to that produced by Fluorescent lamps. Metal halide discharge lamps are used in floodlighting applications and, increasingly, energy saving systems
- infrared and ultraviolet lamps. Both sectors of the market are highly innovative with infrared lamps being used widely in applications such as CCTV cameras and other security systems
- light emitting diodes (LEDs), a solid-state semiconductor that emits light when electrical current is passed through it. LEDs are increasingly used in mobile phones, cars, traffic signals and outdoor signs, and more recently for use in street lighting. Advances in LED colours are likely to boost demand in civil, residential and commercial applications, although further development is required. LED lights are also popular in niche markets, including indicator signs, landscape lighting, wall washing lighting and special effects lighting
- other lamps, including other portable lamps
- free standing, including table and floor standing lamps
- fittings, incorporating a wide range of products including chandeliers, wall and ceiling fittings, illuminated signs, searchlights and spotlights
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.