Lighting - UK - October 2010
Buying lighting is strongly linked to moving home, so the slump in the housing market has severely impacted sales since 2007. Lower levels of consumer confidence during the economic downturn, the subsequent recession and the more recent incomes squeeze have also all made consumers more reluctant to commit themselves to non-essential spending, including that on lighting.
- Interest in lighting that enhances the mood, feel and atmosphere of the home is strong. Some 38% of adults (19.5 million) agree that lighting has to create ambiance in a room.
- The strong link between redecorating and buying lighting suggests a need to market lighting as part of a complete room makeover. Four in ten adults (20.6 million) only replace lighting when they redecorate the rest of the room and 29% look for lighting that adds to the decor.
- Fashion and style is important in the lighting market, indicating a need for retailers to regularly promote ‘new season’ ranges. One in three adults buy lighting to give a room a new look and four in ten prefer modern lighting designs.
- Education and advice from retailers would help customers see lighting products as part of a larger project, get the most out of lighting and make shopping easier through filtering the choice of suitable options.
- The ageing population presents an opportunity for the lighting market, especially as those over the age of 60 need more light to perform simple tasks. More than four in ten over-55s agree lighting needs to suit different purposes (average 27%).
- Major lighting manufacturers are investing heavily in LED and OLED technology that will open up new lighting possibilities for UK homes. Half of adults (25.7 million) already say energy efficiency affects their choice, so new products should find a receptive audience.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.