Lotteries - US - December 2011
Sales at many state lotteries declined in 2008 and 2009, as consumers around the nation reduced discretionary spending in order to mitigate the impact of the recession. However, at a national level, sales increased significantly in 2010 and 2011 despite the fact the economy remained weak during this period. One key to this success has been that many lotteries have launched innovative marketing and product development. There is clearly potential for growth in most states, yet it is also evident that some will need to implement changes in order to maximize revenue. To provide information and insight that can be used to help drive growth, this report addresses the following questions:
- How have state lottery sales fluctuated in recent years and which games have made the greatest contribution to growth?
- What types of product and marketing innovations appear to be driving growth?
- How are the most successful states marketing their lotteries?
- Which consumer segments tend to spend the most on various lottery products?
- What are some of the key consumer attitudes in relation to lotteries and how can states leverage these to drive growth?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.