Manned Security (Industrial Report) - UK - October 2014
"Building in services additional to guarding, which exploit intelligence gathered from integrated electronic systems could help to improve sales for specialist firms facing a competitive threat from facilities management operators"
– Ben Harris, Industrial Analyst
This report discusses the following key topics:
- Challenging trading conditions still restricting security demand
- Guarding sector’s share of the market declines further
- Central government continuing to seek outsourced prison and custodial solutions
For the purposes of this report, the manned security market includes three main sectors: manned guarding, cash-in-transit and custodial services. The manned guarding sector is the largest of the three, while the CIT and custodial services markets are still relatively small sectors. The following definitions are used in this report:
- Manned guarding, which includes uniformed guards and guard patrols, with or without dogs, and either permanently or periodically on site. Also included are guards and plain clothes detectives in retail premises, keyholders, as well as personnel monitoring and responding to alarms. The manned guarding market also includes personnel involved in air traffic security, such as airport guarding, and baggage, cargo and mail screening. Diplomatic and anti-terrorist security, involving vehicle escort services, anti-bug sweeping and the detection of explosives, is also included in this sector.
- Cash-in-transit, which primarily involves the transportation of cash and valuables. This sector includes the counting and processing of money and the restocking of bank and building society cash dispensers.
- Custodial services, which includes the design, construction, management and financing of private prisons, together with prisoner escorting and curfew enforcement via electronic monitoring.
There has been an increasing trend for facilities management companies to provide manned security services, while the reverse is also true, with an increasing number of security companies offering facilities management services. However, as these contracts are often bundled with other services and are provided under one facilities management contract, it is not always possible to analyse the value of the manned security aspect. The value of such facilities management contracts is not included in this report. Facilities management services are analysed separately in the MBD report, The UK Facilities Management Market Development.
With such a high level of industry fragmentation it is not possible to review all the companies in a report of this type. The company profiles included are not a directory of industry participants, however this report covers most of the major operators.
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.Download now
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.