Marketing to Dads - US - August 2010
The extensive media attention that moms’ increasing influence over many aspects of family life has received in recent years has overshadowed a quiet revolution underway among dads. Just as moms are now exerting even greater control over traditionally male product categories such as cars and computers, dads are putting in more time caring for the kids and shopping for groceries. While the current recession, which has resulted in far greater job losses among men than women, has accelerated this shift in—and blurring of—traditional gender roles, the roots of the change are deeper than any short-term economic event.
For marketers interested in exploiting a largely untapped market, this report provides an introduction to the dads of today. Specifically it provides:
- The demographics of fatherhood, ranging from their age, income, employment, marital status and the type of household in which they live
- A look at which family activities are claiming more of dads’ time
- A look at dads’ attitudes toward food, nutrition and shopping
- An analysis of dads’ approach to shopping and how other members of the family influence his purchases
- An update on dads’ rapid adoption of social media networks and a closer look at the small but growing world of dad blogs providing a window into dads’ changing roles and attitudes
- Insight into dads’ relationships with their kids and their views on disciplining them
- A discussion of the portrayal of dads in media and advertising and the limited number of marketers that target dads directly
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.