Marketing to Gen X - US - April 2011
Sandwiched between the Millennial and Baby Boomer segments, Generation X (Gen X) has come of age. As this generation enters their late thirties and forties, they hardly represent the “slacker” stereotype that media pundits used to describe the generation in the 1990s. Indeed, many are reaching their peak earning years and have embraced family as a core component of their identity and lifestyle. In many ways, Gen X has come to represent mainstream America.
While most companies can benefit by developing strong brand relationships with Gen Xers, it is also evident that many of these consumers are suspicious of advertising and may ignore messaging that does not contain information they feel is directly relevant to them. As such, it is important to examine the attitudes and behaviors that are common within this segment in order to ensure that messaging resonates with these well-educated, tech-savvy consumers. In order to provide insights that can be used to help marketers effectively communicate with the segment, Mintel has published this report which addresses the following questions.
- How are Gen Xers similar to and distinct from other generations such as Baby Boomers and Millennials?
- What are the top life priorities and concerns of Gen Xers?
- How did the segment react to the recession, and to what degree do Gen Xers feel financially prepared for the future?
- To what extent do Gen Xers use various types of technology such as computers, smartphones and the internet?
- How do Gen Xers feel about advertising, and to what degree does it influence their decision-making?
- What messaging platforms and themes are marketers using to target the segment?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.