Marketing to Singles - UK - April 2011
Consumer behaviour can be complicated and bewildering. What makes people think, feel and reason in a certain way? How do they choose between different product alternatives (eg brands, products and retailers) and equally what influences their purchase decisions (eg culture, family, media)?
Identifying an individual’s personality type makes it easier to understand the underlying behavioural patterns of that individual. Even though a person may behave differently depending on situations, personality is regarded as relatively stable. Personality traits and characteristics have a strong influence on behaviour.
- Understand shifts in attitudes towards being single: Fewer people are getting married and singles are predicted to outnumber those who are married in the next couple of decades. Singles are increasingly a consumer force to be reckoned with. The stigma associated with being single has virtually disappeared and more singles are perfectly content with their dating status. Understanding the everyday habits and opinions of this growing consumer group is paramount.
- Explore budgeting habits: Do they have a strict budget, or (with no partner to account to) do they spend money without thinking? Who is more influenced by lower prices and discounts? What role does affluence play in people’s willingness to pay more for higher quality products?
- Navigate spending priorities: How do consumers spend their left-over income after paying off their bills? Who is more likely to spend on indulging themselves and who would rather put the extra money away for a rainy day? How does everyday stress factor in the spending priorities?
- Understand lifestyle and attitudes towards being single: How happy are singles with their dating status? What are the pros and cons of being single? What impact does happiness with being single have on their lifestyle and attitudes?
- Plans for the next two years: What are their priorities for the next couple of years, and which goals do they think they will actually be able to achieve?
- Effectively target: Mintel has identified three typologies that are distinct by their dating/relationship status, and show significant demographic differences, particularly in terms of age and income.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.