Maternitywear - UK - January 2010
The report covers all maternitywear – including outerwear and underwear (nightwear and lingerie). Within the context of this report, maternitywear is defined as being clothing that is specifically produced for wearing during pregnancy. Underwear includes maternity support bras, nursing bras, maternity tights and swimwear.
- The maternitywear market grew just over 1% in the two years to 2009 to reach £140 million. It has not grown as strongly as the larger womenswear market, partly due to perceptions of maternitywear as expensive.
- Four in ten women who have ever bought maternity clothing say it's too expensive, despite the growth of ranges from lower-cost fashion stores such as Peacocks, Dorothy Perkins and H&M.
- The increasing number of older first-time mothers creates a potential market for clothing stores with a similar shopper base (ie over-30s) to launch maternitywear. Gap and Zara are relatively new entrants, for example, helping them to continue catering for existing customers during pregnancy rather than losing them to other stores.
- Trousers are the most popular item of maternitywear bought, followed by tops and jeans. Trousers and jeans are also growing fastest in popularity, along with lingerie.
- The 25-34-yr old age group buys most maternity clothing and under-25s the least: jeans and tops are the must-have buy for the latter group. Expense and unfashionable styling are the key barriers to younger pregnant women buying more clothing.
- A more fashion-oriented positioning is increasingly important amongst those in the maternitywear market. In September 2009, the leader in the maternity market, Mothercare, relaunched its range as M2b, using pregnant TV presenter Kirsty Gallacher to model and promote the range. TV presenter Holly Willoughby has also produced and promoted a maternity range available online from Very.co.uk.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.