Meal Accompaniments Review - UK - February 2015
“There remains plenty of scope to build the penetration and usage frequency of ancient grains, for example by communicating their versatility, convenience and value for money. Their health credentials in particular are a key angle that operators can leverage given the current low levels of awareness of the nutritional benefits many of these offer over rice.”
– Emma Clifford, Senior Food Analyst
This report looks at the following areas:
- Providing more meal planning guidance and recipe ideation can help brands to build engagement among the younger generation
- There is scope to drive usage of ancient grains through education
- Marketing messages can help to position side dishes as a key means to boost meals in terms of excitement, health and fillingness
Eating side dishes is almost universal, with vegetables, salads and non-processed potatoes the most frequently used products. Reflecting this is that vegetables (including potatoes) account for the vast majority of spend within the meal accompaniments market. As such, the performance of the market is heavily steered by that of vegetables.
The value of the market has grown consistently over 2009-13, mainly owing to price inflation. 2014 saw sales dip for the first time in the five-year period. This mainly stemmed from a fall in average prices within the vegetable segment, owing to favourable growing conditions and the supermarkets’ price wars.
This report covers the UK retail market for products commonly used as a meal accompaniment or side dish, which essentially breaks down into the following segments:
- Dry rice
- Savoury rice
- Frozen rice
- Pre-cooked microwaveable rice, including chilled and ambient.
- While tinned pasta is discussed in the report it is excluded from the market size because of the prevalence of pasta meals in this category.
- Dry noodles
- Ready-to-cook wet ambient noodles
- Chilled noodles
- Frozen noodles
- Instant savoury noodles (also referred to as instant three-minute noodles), such as Batchelors Super Noodles.
All vegetables, salad and beans (including those used as meal components, as well as those used as meal accompaniments)
- Fresh vegetables sold loose or prepacked and including pre-prepared produce and salad vegetables.
- Frozen vegetables
- Canned vegetables (including all tinned vegetables including baked beans and other shelf-stable formats such as snap pots, pouches, cartons and jars).
Potatoes in all forms
Fresh bagged and loose potatoes, chilled prepared potatoes (such as mash, wedges etc), canned, dehydrated or frozen (chips, waffles, shaped items and roast potatoes) are included.
While all bread and selected baked goods can be eaten as side dishes, only those which are specifically designed to be eaten as a meal accompaniment are included in the market size and forecast (naan bread, other Indian breads and garlic bread).
Excluded from this report:
Prepared meal side dishes such as cauliflower cheese, cheese and potato bake.
Instant pot snacks such as Pot Noodle
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.