Meals-for-one - UK - December 2009
This report examines the eating habits of adults in OPHs. No one consumer product market will be examined, however, Mintel will explore a whole range of food products, with reference to how they fit into the daily eating patterns of people living on their own.
- Almost half of One Person Households (OPHs) feel cooking from scratch is more economical than buying a ready meal, and they are likely to be cooking in bulk, and freezing the excess food.
- Adults living on their own are more likely to complain about the expense of shopping for one, compared to two or more. Retailers need to factor in their needs when using store promotions.
- OPHs are key targets for frozen foods companies as a third buy frozen foods to reduce wastage. But their usage of frozen food products, such as frozen vegetables, chips and fish products, is lower than larger households, highlighting an opportunity for manufacturers to run cross promotions in the frozen food aisles to increase usage among smaller households.
- Faced with rising food costs, over 65yr olds in OPHs are more brand loyal and are less likely to buy more own label food items than other age groups
- Men in OPHs feel it is not worth cooking a proper meal if you live on your own. But this group view ready meals as being good value for money, providing a key target for ready meals suppliers.
- Almost a quarter of OPHs have cut back on luxury items/treats faced with rising food costs. Retailers should ensure these items are included in store promotions, positioned as ‘affordable treats’ even where budgets may be tight.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.